Samoan Language Week Celebrations at W.I.S (28th May to 3rd June)
Every year we celebrate Samoan Language Week and this year’s theme is:
“Ma’au i lou ofaga, Maua’a lou fa’asinomaga” – “Keep Your Identity Alive to Thrive”
The supporting Proverbs for the week are:
- E maota tau’ave, mamalu tau’ave Samoa – The essence of being Samoan accompanies Samoans.
- E le tauilo tama a Tausala – Great mothers rear great human beings.
- E iloa ‘oe i lau gagana – Your language speaks volume of you
- A malu i fale, e malu i fafo – Respect yourself and others will too
- O le gagana e la’ei ai le aganu’u – Language characterises the essence of culture
Next week our school will be celebrating Samoan Language Week through a number of fun activities that will encourage the use and understanding of Gagana Samoa (Samoan Language) and Aganu’u Samoa (Samoan Culture):
- Monday: School Assembly with performances by our Cultural Pasifika Group and Presentations from our Samoan Student Leaders.
– Each class will be having a to’ona’i, which is a shared meal (shared lunch).
– We will also be having a Samoan Siva Showdown, where classes will be competing and performing to try to win our W.I.S Cultural Shield.
- Throughout the week we will also be having an inter-area Lape Tournament at lunchtimes.
Next week will be an exciting week and we welcome all our fanau to come and celebrate Samoan Language Week with us!